Saturday, February 26, 2011

Make My Cake a Cobbler

It’s not often that I’m in Harlem. But when I am, I always make an excuse to visit Make My Cake (and when Levain opens around the corner this week, it, too, will be on the diet-busting-in-Harlem list). The bustling bakery has been around since 1995, serving ooey-gooey, over the top Southern specialties like hot cross buns, red velvet cake, and cobblers.

Unlike crumbles and crisps, cobblers usually have top and bottom crusts—sort of like deep-dish pies. Sometimes they’re made with pie dough, other times (and/or regions), with thick, cakey biscuits.

Make My Cake’s family recipe uses the former. Their giant pan of blueberry cobbler was crisscrossed with lattice shortbread crusts.

Amply dished into a plastic container, there was no thought to its presentation. It was all about the contents.

Wickedly-sweet, syrupy blueberry filling. It coated my belly. Filled me up. And felt like a sloppy-sweet embrace.

4 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

I don't know how you do it!
You must have the metabolism of a hummingbird that has to eat it's own weight daily in order to stay alive...
Just looking at this thing, I feel my belt tightening.

cocoa and coconut said...

I've never had a "cobbler" but I've certainly had my fair share of fruit-filled pies/crumbles. This looks delicious and I love it's messy but delicious appeal.

Notes From ABroad said...

Oh honey, growing up in North Carolina with a Grandmother who cooked.. "from scratch" gave me an a great childhood full of cobblers.
She would send me out with my cousin, armed with buckets to pick blackberries.. chiggars and scratches all over us, we returned with the filling for cobblers that only she could make so well.

Now I make my own but I like to use blueberries or apples ..

Sweet Freak said...

lol. Carol, I love your hummingbird comment. Trust me, I didn't finish this...

Les Reves, the messiness was my favorite thing about it. Normally, I do prefer a good crumble.

Candice, I bet you've never had a cobbler as good as the ones your grandmother used to make?